Apply Now: 2020 TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Leader “TOMODACHI Alumni RISE Leadership Program”
If you are interested becoming a leader within your region, please apply!
The TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Impact for Social Empowerment (RISE) Leadership Program will change the dynamics of alumni engagement by furthering opportunities for alumni to connect, empower, and inspire one another in their respective regions.
This year-long leadership training program focuses on social innovation on a local level. Leaders will gain valuable skills in order to identify and tackle social issues, create events, and bolster their regional alumni community. This will be building upon their initial TOMODACHI experiences, giving them the opportunity to continue their leadership journey through hands-on training and mentorship.
Six regions have been established to support the over 7,800 alumni who are part of the TOMODACHI Generation. These groups are divided into six regions within Japan:
In each of the six regions, there is a two-person team comprised of: 1) Regional Leader (college student) and 2) Regional Mentor (young professional). All are part of the TOMODACHI Generation.
From October 1, 2019, we will select 2020 Regional Leaders in each region to create activities and opportunities with support from their Regional Mentors, by connecting with fellow alumni and the U.S. Embassy and Consulates to address the needs and challenges of their respective regions and communities.
Help us energize and inspire members of the TOMODACHI Generation in your region by developing new events to bring opportunities to your regions and communities. If you are interested becoming a leader within your region, please apply!
This initiative is one of the signature programs under the TOMODACHI Alumni Leadership Program supported by Prudential.
For more information, click here
Please complete the Application Form: http://bit.ly/rise2020apply
Deadline: November 20, 2019 at 23:59 Japan Standard Time
- Application Opens: October 1, 2019
- Deadline: November 20, 2019 at 23:59 Japan Standard Time
- Selection & Interviews: January to February 2020
※Finalist interviews are 40 min. per person
- Finalists Announced: February 2020
- Build leadership and event planning skills
- Attend and network at special events and opportunities hosted by the U.S. Embassy and the Government of Japan
- Engage and work directly with the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in your region
- Connect and learn from professionals in your regional community
- Receive and manage 100,000 Japanese yen as seed money to organize two events per year
- Hands-on training: project management, financial planning, marketing and use of social media, networking skills, presentation skills, mentorship and applied leadership
- Opportunity to grow into a stronger, more confident leader to catalyze your communities
- Regional Leaders (Recruiting): University, High School, Graduate students and young professionals with up to three years of experience who will lead and organize events in their regions
- Regional Mentors: Young professionals that support the Regional Leaders and act as representatives for their regions
- Event Planning & Project Management:
Each Regional Team will be responsible for planning two events during the year, the Welcome Event and the Theme Event. The Welcome Event will be held between May and June 2020, serving as the Annual Reunion within each region. The event will gather current alumni within the region, but will also welcome new alumni who have recently moved the region for the new school year, ensuring there is a TOMODACHI community in every region to welcome alumni. The Theme Event will be held between August and November 2020, with the theme and content developed by the Regional Leaders to address a need or challenge in their respective regions.
- Attend Orientation & Training Sessions:
・Regional Leaders and Mentors will be responsible for attending the March Orientation (March 20-22, 2020, Tokyo)
・Regional Leaders will be responsible for attending the June TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Leader Training (June 27-28, 2020, Tokyo)
・Regional Leaders and Mentors will be responsible for attending the TOMODACHI Summit (September 6, 2020, Tokyo)
・Regional Mentors will be responsible for attending the TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Mentor Retreat (November 18-21, 2020, U.S.)
- Communicate with your Teammate & Regional Mentor:
We recommend once-a-month in-person or Skype/phone meetings, but leave it to the Regional Mentor and Leaders to determine what amount of time is best for their region and the events being planned.
- Manage Funding:
You will receive 100,000JPY as seed money for three purposes: 1) Plan the Welcome Event, 2) Plan the Theme Event, and 3) Send alumni from your region to attend the TOMODACHI Summit. [Note: Regional Leader and Mentor transportation stipends will be provided separately.] Coordinate with your Regional Mentor to ensure that you are spending and allocating funds wisely throughout the year.
- Keep Regional Alumni Contact Lists Updated:
We have over 7,800 alumni spread out across Japan and the United States and need help keeping our alumni contact lists up to date, starting with each region.
- Regional Leader: February 2020 – March 2021
- Regional Mentor: November 2020 – January 2022
All Regional Leaders have the opportunity to extend their role for another year with a Recommendation Letter from their Regional Mentors, submitted to the TOMODACHI Alumni Manager at the time of the New Leader Application Process.
For more information on the Regional Framework and Questions
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org