Now Accepting Applications for the TOMODACHI Story Jam for Youth with Disabilities
*The image is from the TOMODACHI Disability Leadership Program in America. Please note that TOMODACHI Story Jam for Youth with Disabilities is an online program.
Applications are now open for the TOMODACHI Story Jam for Youth with Disabilities.
TOMODACHI Story Jam for Youth with Disabilities is an 8-week digital storytelling and youth leadership program that brings together Japanese and American college students and young professionals with disabilities to collectively explore experiences in the time of COVID-19. Participants will have opportunities to interact with peers from Japan and the U.S., and to learn about each other’s cultures.
- For application information and program details, click here.
- For more information on this program, click here.
- Application deadline: July 16, 2021
You do not need prior experience in digital storytelling to apply for this program. However, to apply, you must:
- Be a Japanese or American individual with a disability
- Be between 18 and 35 years old
- Be a student currently enrolled at a Japanese or American college, or a young professional (e.g., part-time, full-time, self-employed)
- Have basic English language skills (conversation, reading, and writing), or if you are Deaf, have basic English language reading and writing skills and, ideally, basic American Sign Language skills
- Have a computer (Windows or Mac) with an updated web browser, Internet access, and a mobile phone*
- Have a compelling story about your experience of navigating the COVID-19 pandemic at college, work, or other areas of life (e.g., relationships), and lessons learned
- Complete an 8-week digital storytelling and youth leadership program and participate in a public online event
- Give permission to have your digital story be shared at a public online event and published elsewhere
Individuals with any types of disabilities are encouraged to apply. American Sign Language interpretation and English Live captions (CART) will be provided upon request.
*Please consult with us if you have Internet access issues..
|July 16||Online application closes|
|July-August (Dates TBD)||Candidate interviews held|
|August 20||Finalists announced|
|September– November (Dates TBD)||Story Jam and Youth Leadership Program (8 weeks, one session per week)|
|Mid-November (Date TBD)||Public online event|