Apply Now: 2021 TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Leader “TOMODACHI Alumni RISE Leadership Program”
If you are interested in becoming a leader within your region, please apply!
The TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Impact for Social Empowerment (RISE) Leadership Program will change the dynamics of alumni engagement by furthering opportunities for alumni to connect, empower, and inspire one another in their respective regions.
This year-long leadership training program focuses on social innovation on a local level. Leaders will gain valuable skills in order to identify and tackle social issues, create events, and bolster their regional alumni community. This will be building upon their initial TOMODACHI experiences, giving them the opportunity to continue their leadership journey through hands-on training and mentorship.
Six regions have been established to support the over 9,000 alumni who are part of the TOMODACHI Generation. These groups are divided into six regions within Japan:
In each of the six regions, there is a two-person team comprised of: 1) Regional Leader (high school, college or graduate student or recent graduate with up to three years of experience) and 2) Regional Mentor (young professional). All are part of the TOMODACHI Generation.
From October 1, 2020, we will open applications for 2021 Regional Leaders in each region. Regional Leaders will have the opportunity to test out their leadership skills, create events by connecting with fellow alumni and the U.S. Embassy and Consulates to address the needs and challenges of their respective regions and communities. Each Regional Leader will be supported by a Regional Mentor.
Help us energize and inspire members of the TOMODACHI Generation in your region by developing new events to bring opportunities to your regions and communities. If you are interested in becoming a leader within your region, please apply!
This initiative is one of the signature programs under the TOMODACHI Alumni Leadership Program supported by Prudential.
Please complete the Application Form: http://bit.ly/rise2021apply
Deadline: November 30, 2020 at 23:59 Japan Standard Time
* As a qualification, you need to be originally from the region, currently residing in the region, or have a strong desire to support the region.
- Applications Open: October 1, 2020
- Applications Close: November 1, 2020 at 23:59 Japan Standard Time
- Selection & Interviews: December 2020 to January 2021
※Finalist interviews are 40 min. per person
- Finalists Announced: February 2021
- Build leadership and event planning skills
- Attend and network at special events and opportunities hosted by the U.S. Embassy and the Government of Japan
- Engage and work directly with the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in your region
- Connect and learn from professionals in your regional community
- Receive and manage 100,000 Japanese yen as seed money to organize two events per year
- Hands-on training: project management, financial planning, marketing and use of social media, networking skills, presentation skills, mentorship and applied leadership
- Opportunity to grow into a stronger, more confident leader to catalyze your communities
- Regional Leaders : University, High School, Graduate students and young professionals with up to three years of experience who will lead and organize events in their regions
- Regional Mentors: Young professionals that support the Regional Leaders and act as representatives for their regions
- Event Planning & Project Management:
Each Regional Team will be responsible for planning two events during the year, the Welcome Event and the Theme Event. The Welcome Event will be held between May and June 2021, serving as the Annual Reunion within each region. The event will gather current alumni within the region, but will also welcome new alumni who have recently moved the region for the new school year, ensuring there is a TOMODACHI community in every region to welcome alumni. The Theme Event will be held between September and December 2021, with the theme and content developed by the Regional Leaders to address a need or challenge in their respective regions.
- Attend Orientation & Training Sessions:
・Regional Leaders and Mentors will be responsible for attending the March Orientation (March 20-21, 2021 (Sat & Sun) + March 28, 2021 (Sun))
・Regional Leaders will be responsible for attending the July TOMODACHI Alumni Regional Leader Training (July 3-4, 2021 (Sat & Sun))
・Regional Leaders and Mentors will be responsible for attending the TOMODACHI Summit
*Please note that we will be watching the situation closely as it relates to COVID-19 to decide whether or not to do events, orientations, and training virtually or in-person.
*There will be monthly sessions with other Regional Leaders / Mentors and staff. Attending all sessions are not required but highly recommended.
- Communicate with your Teammate & Regional Mentor:
We recommend once-a-month in-person or Skype/phone meetings, but leave it to the Regional Mentor and Leaders to determine what amount of time is best for their region and the events being planned.
- Manage Funding:
You will receive 100,000JPY as seed money for three purposes: 1) Plan the Welcome Event, 2) Plan the Theme Event, and 3) Send alumni from your region to attend the TOMODACHI Summit. [Note: Regional Leader and Mentor transportation stipends will be provided separately.] Coordinate with your Regional Mentor to ensure that you are spending and allocating funds wisely throughout the year.
- Keep Regional Alumni Contact Lists Updated:
We have over 9,000 alumni spread out across Japan and the United States and need help keeping our alumni contact lists up to date, starting with each region.
- Regional Leader: February 2021 – March 2022
- Regional Mentor: November 2020 – January 2022
All Regional Leaders have the opportunity to extend their role for another year with a Recommendation Letter from their Regional Mentors, submitted to the TOMODACHI Alumni Manager at the time of the New Leader Application Process.
For more information on the Regional Framework and the RISE Program, contact us.
Contact : email@example.com