Now Accepting Applications for the 2019-2020 TOMODACHI MetLife Women’s Leadership Program
In 2013, the TOMODACHI Initiative in partnership with MetLife Japan launched the TOMODACHI MetLife Women’s Leadership Program (TMWLP) to develop the next generation of global female leaders.
The program aims to equip women with 21st century leadership skills, self-confidence, and the network required to successfully navigate their leadership journey in an ever-changing world. Through the year-long program, highly-motivated Japanese female university students work to hone their leadership skills. The students attend regular group sessions hosted by the U.S. Embassy that provide training in leadership development and financial empowerment workshops by MetLife Japan. The students are paired with female mid-career professionals as mentors to have one-on-one support and networking opportunities. Mentees also visit Washington, D.C. and New York for a weeklong study trip. Throughout the program mentees and mentors are invited to attend special seminars with government officials and business leaders. The TMWLP was originally held in Tokyo and Osaka and has expanded to include Naha, Fukuoka, and Sapporo on a rotating basis. The program is held in four cities each year. The 2019-2020 TMWLP program will be held in Tokyo, Osaka, Naha, and Fukuoka. In the five-year period from 2013 to 2019, a total of 538 women (269 women university students and 269 mentors) have taken part.
How to Apply
Please submit your application via email to your local TMWLP email address:
Tokyo Area: Submit applications to: TokyoTMWLP@usjapancouncil.org
Osaka Area: Submit applications to: KansaiTMWLP@usjapancouncil.org
Fukuoka Area: Submit applications to: KyushuTMWLP@usjapancouncil.org
Naha Area: Submit applications to: OkinawaTMWLP@usjapancouncil.org
Application submission deadline is June 24, 2019.
We’re receiving mentor applications for Fukuoka until 9AM, July 8th.
2019-2020 TMWLP Mentee (Student) Application Form (Please download, save, fill out, and send back as a Word (DOC or DOCX) file. Note that all other file types, such as PDFs, will not be accepted.)
2019-2020 TMWLP Mentor (Professional) Application Form (Please download, save, fill out, and send back as a Word (DOC or DOCX) file. Note that all other file types, such as PDFs, will not be accepted.)
Accepted participants will be notified on or by August 21, 2019. For more information on the TMWLP, click here
Eligibility & Selection Process
We look for candidates who are interested in networking with other women, advancing women in the workforce, and making a positive change in Japanese society.
Information for Mentees
Eligibility for Student Participants
- Be Japanese citizen or hold permanent residence status
- Female first, second, and third year undergraduate students attending universities in Japan
- Intermediate speaking, reading, and writing English language skills (the program is conducted in English)
- Have demonstrated interest in playing a leadership role in the future
- Must be able to attend all leadership development sessions, the entire U.S. Trip, and the Annual Conference in Tokyo
Information for Mentors
Eligibility for Professional Participants
- Japanese or U.S. citizen
- Female mid-level professionals (9+ years professional experience)
- Professionals with overseas educational/work experience are strongly encouraged to apply
- Intermediate English ability (all program sessions will be conducted in English)
- Open to all industries and sectors (including private, non-profit, government and academic)
- Committed to developing the next generation of women leaders by serving as a mentor and meeting on a regular basis with your mentee outside of scheduled leadership development sessions
- Must be able to attend program sessions 1, 2, 3 and 4 and the Annual Conference in Tokyo
TMWLP Program Sessions
Program Dates: Note all dates are subject to change.
September 12 (Thurs.)
October 17 (Thurs.)
November 26 (Tues.)
December 12 (Thurs.)
January 30 (Thurs.)
September 20 (Fri.)
October 11 (Fri.)
November 8 (Fri.)
December 13 (Fri.)
February 14 (Fri.)
September 27 (Fri.)
October 25 (Fri.)
November 15 (Fri.)
December 6 (Fri.)
February 21 (Fri.)
September 6 (Fri.)
October 4, (Fri.)
November 1 (Fri.)
December 6 (Fri.)
February 7 (Fri.)
March 11-18, 2020:
Mentees travel to the United States. Travel and lodging provided. Please note that the trip dates are subject to change.
May 23-24, 2020 (Sat.-Sun.):
Mentors and mentees are expected to attend the capstone TMWLP Annual Conference in Tokyo. Travel and lodging for Osaka, Fukuoka, and Naha participants will be provided. Please note that the conference dates are subject to change.